A food magazine loader in Germany that could easily have caused a deadly food safety incident has now been removed from the market, according to the German Federal Ministry for Food Safety.
According to the ministry, the magazine loader had been removed after an inspection.
A spokesperson for the German government said the magazine is not a banned item.
“We’ve ordered a new one for the market,” said spokeswoman Ralf Kriegler.
“I’m afraid the magazine may have caused some trouble.”
The news of the removal came on Monday evening, just days after a similar issue at a food magazine in the Netherlands, after which authorities said they had received numerous reports of problems.
In a statement on Wednesday, the German food industry association said it would “take further action if the magazine does not comply with the requirements of the law”.
“In a matter of hours, the news of a new loader has made it clear that a lot of people are not getting the product they need.
The industry has no alternative but to take further action,” the association said in a statement.
Image caption The German government says the magazine has not been approved for use in the countryHowever, a spokeswoman for the government, Jens-Peter Giesler, said it was unclear if the removal of the magazine had been caused by the loader.
“There is no way that the magazine could have caused the problem that has been reported,” he said.
The German food association has been trying to find a new supplier for the magazine since it first went on sale last month.
“The magazine is currently being sent to a third party supplier who has been authorised by the manufacturer,” the spokesperson said.
“However, there is no guarantee that they will be able to produce a new version for the general public.”
Mr Giesling said that a number of other magazines in Germany were also being recalled, including the popular weekly magazine Liederwelt.
He said that if the loader did not work correctly, the magazines could not be sold.
“If we have to go through with the ban, that is the only way we can guarantee that the magazines will remain safe for our consumers,” he added.
Food safety concerns in GermanyIn the Netherlands there was a similar incident in which a food cart was caught on camera in which it failed to stop in time.
The Dutch authorities said it had not received any reports of safety problems.
A spokeswoman for Food and Drug Safety said the ministry was currently looking into the issue.
“Safety checks have been carried out on the loader and we are working with the German authorities to ensure that this incident does not happen again,” she said.
German newspaper Der Spiegel reported that the loader at issue was a small, flat-bottomed model of a loader used in food preparation.
“It’s a lot easier to remove these than to install them,” said a source at a German food safety company, who did not want to be named.
The magazine loader was made by a company called The Food Truck, which has offices in Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg, Stuttgart and Frankfurt.
The company has been in business for 30 years and is one of the biggest food truck operators in the world.
The food truck’s spokesperson told the Associated Press news agency that the company did not know whether the magazine was a banned product.
“All the safety checks we have done have been positive and nothing out of the ordinary has happened,” he told the AP.
“We are waiting for the final decision from the authorities.”
Image copyright Reuters Image caption The magazine loader could easily be dangerous in the supermarket, according the German consumer agencyThe magazine had a capacity of 300 grams (2.7 ounces) and it could easily get into a food packaging, said a food industry source, who declined to be identified.
The truck was not operating when the incident happened, he added, and the loader was not on a busy road.
“You cannot have an empty magazine and a loaded one, it’s just not possible,” the source said.
He added that the German public should not expect the magazine to work normally.
“People should not assume that the loaders they see in the shops will be safe,” he explained.
A spokesperson for The Food Company of Germany (FCO), the main owner of The Food Trucks, said the loader could not have been operating without the truck’s power, and that it had been inspected regularly.
“They have a large and stable capacity, so there is nothing to worry about,” he was quoted as saying by the AP news agency.
The loader is expected to be removed from sale within a few days, the spokesperson added.